Friday, October 12, 2007

Restoring Grandpa Herman...

I wanted to put the great new photographic portrait I got of my grandfather Herman Aaron here on my blog. But the photo, probably over a hundred years old, was a bit deteriorated and stained, so it needed retouching to look its best. Below is the cleaned up image. This is only the second photo I have ever seen of him, so it means a lot to me. While he died long before I was born, I feel a real connection to this man. The photo is undated, but I'm guessing it was taken near the turn of the last century, when he would have been 38 years old.

click on image to view larger

And below is a list of passengers, showing Grandpa Herman, and Grandma Julia, along with my 14 year old father Gloster and his older sister Jean, on a return trip from Europe, sailing on the SS Olympic, in 1927. They are at the top of the list. Click on the image to see it large enough to read their names.



6 comments:

Simon said...

You really resemble your grandpa. You guys are like twins.

Anonymous said...

I dig his chair! And hair!

Jaya said...

Thanks for the comments, everyone! Yes, Lady Banana, I love looking at old stuff like this and imagining their lives too... especially when they are my ancestors.

NeoAuteur, I'm not sure I see THAT much resemblance, but I would like to think there is some there...

MaLu... Yeah, I did his hair, and that chair, too!

A relative has promised to send me another photo of him, so I'll be posting that too once I've gotten it.

Jaya said...

Ooops, in that comment above, in response to MaLu, I meant to say I DIG his hair (and the chair), not I DID his hair... although, I feel such connection to him, the thought has passed through my mind, wondering if he, or perhaps his wife Julia, might have been a previous incarnation of mine... and if that were true, then perhaps I DID DO his hair up before he sat for this photo! Hah!

Jay said...

I wish I had documentation like that about my family. I have a great set of old pictures that were put together for my grandfather's 65th birthday in 1966, but none of them are labeled and my mother doesn't know who most of the people are. The loss makes me cry.

Jaya said...

Oh, Jay, that would frustrate me too, to have the photo yet not be able to identify the people... so close and yet so far away! Perhaps there are other relatives who might help you? I've regained contact with numerous relatives through posting about family here on my blog, and they've provided some fascinating info for me. The ease of internet communication really facilitates the process!