Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Christmas In Taos

On the night of December 23rd, I had to go out and run a quick errand. I happened to drive through the Plaza, in the center of Taos, and it was so beautiful with all the Christmas lights and decorations, and the frosting of snow that had fallen that night, that I had to take some photos.  First, here is a hotel I passed on the way to the Plaza:



And then photos taken on the Plaza:



 

 

 

 

I love the farolitos which are used as decorations here in New Mexico.  They are paper bags with a layer of sand in them, onto which a small votive candle is placed.  They are very beautiful, shining through the dark.





 

Then on my way home I wanted to take photos of the pretty display of lights around a courtyard entryway near where I live.  I parked at the end of my street, and walked about a half block.  Here were my footsteps in the snow, and the lights I found so pleasing:



 

 

And then I walked back to my car, and continued driving on up my street, where warmth and cats awaited me...



5 comments:

Janiss said...

I love Taos. If I ever move away from the big city, it'll be there, or maybe Santa Fe.

CastoCreations said...

Wouldn't the candles in bags catch fire??? I'd be way too nervous to try it even though they are pretty. :)

Marg said...

Those are great pictures. I love the bags with the candles in them that they do in Mexico. I have seen them before

JD at I Do Things said...

Oh, my GAWD! So gorgeous!

And I love farolitos too! I just didn't know that's what they were called!

Maddy said...

Those are fabulous. I wish I could take night time photos, mine are always rubbish. We tried those little paper bags with votives once but it was a bit of a breezy night.