Thursday, December 2, 2010

Here's.... ??... Griffin!

My dear old dog Lucy, who was with me for 12 or 13 years, recently died.  She had not been feeling well for some time, and the vet felt it was time to let her be free of her old body.  I agreed.  And so she left.  But she left a hole in my life.  While I am more of a 'cat person', it was the first time in almost 30 years that I'd been without a dog in my house, and it just felt wrong.  So I began looking at the photos of the dogs waiting for adoption at my local animal shelter.  There was one fellow in particular who captured my attention.  Yesterday I went and met him, and today he came home.  Right now, he is here as a foster care dog, until I'm sure he is OK with my cats.  He's been here about 4 hours so far, and he's doing OK, though he has barked at the cats a couple of times.  I'm not ready to let him be around the kitties unsupervised yet, but I think they will all work it out...  

He had been at the shelter for about 3 weeks.  They said he was clearly scared and depressed when he first arrived, but had been doing better recently.  He seemed friendly with all the shelter workers who approached him while I was there.   His behavior has been pretty mellow, but I think he's still subdued because of the trauma he's been through.  He was found as a stray, so I don't know anything about his past history before he got to the shelter.  They estimate his age is somewhere around a year and a half.  The shelter has been calling him Duncan, but I think I'm going to name him Dougal, after a childhood friend of mine.  I also was contemplating the names Bailey, Emmet, and Bob.  UPDATE:  After 12 hours together, I find that 'Dougal' does not seem to fit him.  I'm now leaning towards the name Griffin.  We'll see if that one sticks...

He's tuckered out from his big day, coming home to yet another strange new place.  He found his way to the dog bed within an hour of his arrival, and settled in for a nap.  That's when I got these first photos of him.  I think he's adorable.  He looks to me as if he might be some sort of Wheaton Terrier mix.  What do you think?   UPDATE:  My friend MaLu pointed out, after seeing his photos, that he looks like an Irish Wolfhound.   After studying photos of that breed (which I was not familiar with), I have to agree.  So I think he is part Irish Wolfhound, and part Mystery!




And when he finally fell asleep, he was in this position, using his paws as pillows.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I am sorry to hear that Lucy left, but I know she will always be in your heart. Finding another dog is probably a prompt from Lucy. That's how I see it. I think Griffin is a splendid name for this little guy. We hope he will make that hole in your heart heal a little faster. Peace.

Chris said...

We're sorry about poor Lucy, but you are doing a wonderful thing giving another lost sole a good home. We think he is absolutely adorable, and Griffin seems to suite him - at least his picture. Our Rosie was found abandoned too and went through some tramas at first but settled in very nicely and after 3 years with us basically runs the house and keeps Abby and the kitties in line with just a look. We wish you good luck with your new baby and hope he and the kitties all get along so he can stay.

Shari Thomas said...

So sorry to hear about Lucy. Earlier this year we had to put our Chocolate Lab/Hound down, and yes, it leaves a hole in your heart.

Your Griffen looks like he'll be a great companion. The kitties will put him in his place.

Caerol said...

It's not easy parting with our pet, yet Lucy like my dog Chuckie and other pets have gone to a better place.

At least now you have Griffin who cannot replace Lucy yet can give joy as your old pal.

May Griffin and the rest of the gang get along well.