Tuesday, August 7, 2007

God's Will is Boo


This is Boo. Isn't he a gorgeous kitty? His original name was God's Will, because he came to me in such a dramatic, unlikely manner that I thought it must be God's will that he be a part of my family.

It happened 9 or 10 years ago. I was in Taos, NM, getting gas at a big gas station on the main road south of town, Paseo del Pueblo Sur. I lived over the Sangre de Cristo (Blood of Christ) Mountains to the east, in a town called Angel Fire. As I was filling up my truck's tank, a woman over at the next fuel station began screaming- not saying any words at first, just shrieking at full volume. The
n her screams turned into "Help! Help!"

I was just rushing over to see what on earth was going on when the screaming woman ran up to me, crying, and held out her hands, saying, "Please can you help me? Can you take this kitten? It just ran across the road! It almost got run over! Please, can you take it??"

I looked and saw she was holding a tiny little kitten. It looked to be about 5 weeks old, just the age of a litter of kittens I had at home. The kitten had just run across 4 lanes of heavy rush hour traffic. It was a miracle he had not gotten killed. The screaming lady had seen him dart across the road and caught him. He was obviously traumatized, and the lady's
screaming was not helping to calm him!

I said I would take him, and explained that I had kittens his age at home, and their mother would probably accept him into the family and let him nurse. Then I went into my car to get a box to put the kitten into for the drive back over the mountains. This kitten was feral, and was struggling to get away. As I was quickly getting the box ready for him, he managed to bite the hysterical lady 3 times, which only made her cry more! I was wondering if he was going to be
biting me as well.

I got him home, and he WAS accepted into the litter with the other kittens, one of whom was Rexie, who grew up to be my #1 Love Boy. But back then he was just a tiny grey & white fuzz ball, with a constant expression that seemed to say: "What's going on? How did I get here?"

Baby Rexie


Baby Boo

The new kitten, God's Will, never bit me, but he did remain partially feral. It's only in the past 2 or 3 years that he has let me hold him for any length of time, and actually began to purr as I pet him. And he has always been spooked by any sudden movements near his face. I figure that is from seeing those giant car & truck wheels coming at him as he ran for his life through traffic that day.

Since he was originally so very shy, his name quickly evolved into 'Boo Kitty', and then just 'Boo'. He is sleeping on a soft blanket to my left as I write this. And even though his name has changed, it still does seem that it was God's will for him to find his way to me.


Click on the image to see a bigger Boo!

© 2007 All Rights Reserved.

1 comments:

Heather said...

Awww...Jaya, I suspected you were good people. Know I know it.

Boo is perfect.

I've rescued critters all my life and almost feel more connected to critters than I do people sometimes.

I spent two weeks trying to catch a baby feral kitten (her mom had been run over). I finally caught her (10 years ago) and named her DC. Ditch Cat. :)Biggest love kitty you've ever seen.