Thursday, August 9, 2007

Content Theft


Well folks, they say imitation is the best form of flattery... BUT... I am not feeling flattered, or at all amused, by the CONTENT THEFT that I've just been alerted to by a reader named Jason. (Thanks, Jason!) A website put out by someone who is apparently unable, or simply unwilling, to come up with their OWN posts has been wildly stealing content from this blog.


Now, while it IS acceptable practice to quote from another site, with proper attribution, this person has gone WAY beyond that. They are posting my photos, my drawings, my dead relatives images, for heaven's sakes!! I counted 30 of my posts, with the ENTIRE posts reproduced over there, before I stopped counting. Now, this content thief does say the posts were originally mine, and link back here, which is nice, but that does not negate the fact that this person never asked permission to use any of my posts on their site. They appear to be using content without permission from several other sites as well. Below are a few examples, with the link to the post here on my blog first, followed by the link to the SAME post on the thief's site:

Links have been deleted by Jaya, as my content has now been removed from the offending site. (See my 'update' below.) But I WILL be checking for content theft in the future. Two easy ways to do this are, first, to copy unique text from your blog into Google, and see if it turns up anywhere else, and second, to use copyscape to check for plagiarism.

Well... just as there are bad eggs in the 'real' world, and people without ethics, there are those same types here in the blogging world. Unfortunately one of them has found his way to my blog and decided to loot it. I can only hope that this person will read this notice and will honor my request that they CEASE AND DESIST from using any of my content on their website, and REMOVE all content of mine that they already have displayed on their site.

UPDATE: Good news! They have taken down the three copied posts of mine I refer to above. Yay!! Now I will go see if they are removing all the REST of my posts... YES!! It seems this post has had the impact I hoped it would.

numly esn 37767-070809-294808-80


© 2007 All Rights Reserved.


6 comments:

rosshetherington said...

I hate content theft!

www.rosshetherington.com

Betty Badass said...

what sleaze! looks like everything is down. you should document all this though, and also contact adsense, they're obviously trying to make some money.

If anyone did that to me I'd raise all sorts of hell.

DogMom said...

Thank you for letting me know!
DogsAyeView

Anonymous said...

I'm glad to hear that the matter was resolved. In the future, please feel free to contact me if I can help in any way. I have a lot of experience in this area and have shut down hundreds of plagiarists.

I'll gladly do what I can to help!

Congrats again!@

Jaya said...

Thanks for your comments everyone.

Johnathan, good for you for
shutting down content thieves!

And taphillips, it looks like your
pilfered content has now also been
removed from that same site that
stole mine. Phew! Speaking out
DOES make a difference. This has
been a creepy experience, and I'm
glad it seems to be over now.

iriegal said...

good someone let you know. That is so shady