Monday, July 2, 2007

Letters From Japan

Back in 1988, in the dark, slow times before e-mail, I used to write back and forth, by REAL postal mail, to a friend who was living in Japan, teaching English as a second language. I've since, sadly, lost touch with her. (Hi Jilla... if you read this, drop me an e-mail.)

Today, I decided to go through some old letters that I came across in storage in the garage. They were very dusty, and one pile had been peed on by some naughty cat, but I tackled them anyway. The letters from Japan were among them. I scanned a few bits and pieces for you to see.

Click on the image for a closer view!

UPDATE: After posting this, I decided to do a search for Jilla, who had sent me those letters from Japan, and Lo and Behold, the Google Gods smiled upon me, and I FOUND her! Want a cool homemade Japanese dollhouse? She can make one for you!
Go visit her dollhouse page for more info.

Or, if you're in the San Francisco area and want to get healthier, through fitness, nutrition, or massage,
visit Jilla's other page! (Yes, she's a versatile woman!)


Another Update: From an e-mail Jilla just sent:

"I am sitting on my dad’s boat
in the harbor in Newport RI.
The sun is going down,
we just ate lobsters,
and the water is beautiful."


Lovely!





4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very interesting story ...

Hey have you got any letter from China?

Jaya said...

Thanks, Terence! No, I don't think I've ever gotten any mail from China... but if I do come across any, I'll post it.

Anonymous said...

Great story, Jaya! I love the scans! There's something so hypnotic about physical letters/postcards/etc in this digital world!

Cool stuff!

lizzie said...

Real tangible letters are still the best!