Tuesday, November 20, 2007

How Many Pennies?

I have suddenly been inspired to get up, get dressed, and take my jug of pennies over to the coin counting machine at the supermarket, and let it count them, so I can trade them in for paper money. I am guessing, from looking at the penny pile, that there is between ten and twelve dollars there. But I could easily be way off in either direction. Take a look for yourself:


So tell me, how much money in pennies do YOU think there is? Whoever comes in closest to the actual amount wins the smug satisfaction
of being right. You can leave your guess as a comment to this post. I'll announce the correct amount in a few days!


UPDATE: A winner is Announced!! Congratulations to Russ! I already knew he was remarkable fellow, as he won over the heart of my dear friend MaLu. Now I know he is an excellent penny guesser as well, and he has won this contest, with the closest guess. So... how many pennies were there? There were 1,364 pennies in the jar. Thanks for playing, everyone!

18 comments:

Jaya said...

OK, I'll make the first guess, of $11.42 (though I hope it's more!)

Anonymous said...

Mine is $11.11 and Russ says $13.42

Mattie says, $12.66; Orlando says $10.99, Tybalt guesses $11.31; Tanis say $8.79; Lil' Red guesses $9.00 and Neko guesses $8.97.

I hope we win!

b said...

$89.99

but thats just a guess.

Anonymous said...

My guess is $7.32. Happy County...

Anonymous said...

$8. Stumbled because we use money everyday and are giving such a great variance in our guesses! Good one, Jaya!

Anonymous said...

I was never any good at those 'guess how many' tests. But I'm sure Henry has the right answer.
Cheers

Daisy said...

Hmmm, let me see here. Counting is hard. I will guess $5.93.

Anonymous said...

My guess is $9.17. Thanks for a fun little contest.

Anonymous said...

Well, I think there's $7.14 in the jug......that's my lucky 3 numbers and I'll try them here.

Jaya said...

And my brother Richard, who apparently has yet to master the art of leaving comments here on the blog, has sent me an e-mail message saying:

"I think that you will find that you have $4.83 in the penny jar."

Anonymous said...

I'll have to go with 6.66

Anonymous said...

$9.78; $10.42; $8.98; $9.23; $9.50; $10.32...

Anonymous said...

$2.22....I don't knooooowwwww....I never win these things!!!!! And just don't SAY ANYTHING, Okay?! Cuz I know what you'd say and I just don't want to hear it.

Mirri Rocks said...

I think..
there are 300 pennies in it.

So that will make....dollar

Fill in on the dots

Anonymous said...

Mustafa is cheating...no smug satifaction for Mustafa!

Jaya said...

Congratulations to Russ, of Whittier, California.
He is our WINNER, with a guess just 22 cents
off from the actual count of 1,364 pennies.
Well done, Russ!

Anonymous said...

Oh, I'm gonna go wake him up! He's gonna be stoked! Yay! He deserves to win something cuz he worked hard all day and loves us all so well. (He's keeping our spots warm, Jaya, so snuggle up!)

Hee!

Anonymous said...

Don't know how many pennies, but Henry is so cute!