Saturday, July 17, 2010

Home Sweet Home

As I mentioned a few posts ago, when I told you about the fire, I've found a house I want to buy. Happily, the owners agreed to a very fair selling price, and I am scheduled to purchase the house at the end of August, and then move in during early September.   Yay!!

It is a humble little house, but in pretty good shape, and the layout will work for me. Ater 8 years of renting I'm REALLY wanting to own my own house again. It is in a rural area about 35 - 40 minutes from where I work, and an hour from Santa Fe.

Below are some photos I took of the house and the yard, which I immediately fell in love with when I first saw it.  I think my pets will really enjoy exploring this yard.  There are several fruit trees on the property, but I don't know what kind they are yet.  It will be fun to find out! 



The cool old truck the current owners park there. Don't know if it goes with the house, but I'd love it if it did:


This corner was originally a carport, but is now closed in and used as storage area, which is great, because I need a storage area:


The front porch:


The side of the house further back:


The back of the house, with a little sitting porch:


The front yard, sunny, with room for gardening:


Old log shed in the back yard, once used for goats, I think:


The old well house (well no longer in use):


And here are some other views of the back yard. I love that there are aspen trees:


In this one below, if you look closely, near the middle of the photo, you can see a mountain peak in the distance.  That will be my view of La Jicarita Peak, which has an elevation of 12,808 feet.



And, while the house now has a 20 year old shingle roof on it, as part of the agreement I reached with the sellers, there will be a lovely new metal Pro Panel roof put on the house.  The color will be a turquoise blue, or teal, which will go nicely with the grey house.  It will look like this roof:


I actually owned a home about 15 minutes away from this house, back in 1990, and I had this same color Pro Panel roof put onto that house as well.  And I recently discovered that this roofing will also help to keep the house cooler in the hot weather, as it is much better at reflecting heat than a shingle roof, which absorbs more heat.

So, that is my happy news about my soon-to-be new Home Sweet Home!


11 comments:

Marg said...

I love that house. I think it is really cute. The yard looks like it will be great fun to play with and do different things. Maybe you could get a goat if there is a little house for it. Just put up some fence.
Anyway, that is very exciting for you.

Wendy said...

I'm in So. Cal and planning to move to N.M. within the next 5 years, with my two cats. I LOVE your darling new house...Incredible, really, the things you can do with it. I hope everything runs smoothly in the transaction and moving. Congrats! :)

Nona said...

The house is adorable and the property is beautiful. Looks like the kind of place I'd like to live one day.

Unknown said...

The house looks great - congratulations! I hope you get the truck, too.

Unknown said...

That is a lovely spot. All the best for you in your new home. Hope the move in goes well.

Vera said...

It looks like a good house to start building your new home. and yeah wouldn't it be nice if that truck came with it too? You've got so much space that I could only dream about. hehe. :)

VetTech said...

It's a sweet house and I don't want to jinx you... but conrats, you are right - the yard is amazing.

Sharkbytes said...

What a cute little place! Much enhanced by the truck, too. Glad it will be yours.

josie said...

I'm excited to see the changes/improvement you will do with your new home. :)

jazevox said...

your pets are gonna be happy as well, having all those yard space to checkout and hangout. congrats on your new home!

Unknown said...

What a sweet house! Congrats! Hope it works out well for you in every way.
Good thing that you have taken a lot of pictures of it as it is now. That way you will have both 'before' and 'after' photos when you are ready to show the changes that you will make in turning it into a real home.
Best wishes,
Anna