Monday, May 24, 2010

Finally A Survivor!

It's not uncommon for me to find a pile of feathers in the house, indicating that one of my cats has made a snack of one of the local birds.  Today I heard one of the cats come inside meowing the deep yowling meow that seems to mean: "I am a great hunter, returned to my lair with my prey."  

I got up and saw it was Boo, with a dark colored bird in his mouth.  The bird wasn't moving, and I assumed it was already dead.  I shooed Boo, with his bird, back outside, so as to avoid another pile of feathers being left inside for me to clean up.

I watched Boo as he went out, and then I saw him put the bird down, and much to my surprise, the bird flapped away a couple of feet, with Boo jumping right after him.  I ran and put on some clothes and shoes, and rushed outside.  I found Boo in the bushes, crouched over the motionless bird.  I picked the bird up and he struggled a little and escaped from my hands, gliding down and landing in the grass a few feet away.  Beating out several cats who were heading his way, I scooped him up again and took him inside.  He seemed alert enough, but clearly not up to flying, so I didn't think he'd be safe outside on his own.

I've set him up in one of the kitty condo cages I have for when I board cats, giving him some food, water, and sticks to perch on.  He seems quite well, as far as I can tell, but I'm going to have him stay for a few days of rest and recuperation just to be on the safe side.  He is quite a lovely little fellow.  Below are some photos I just took of him.  Can anyone tell me what type of bird he is??



8 comments:

Janiss said...

I have no idea what kind of bird he is, other than gorgeous! That's great that you managed to rescue it. These little guys seem fragile, but sometimes they are surprisingly resilient.

If nobody can ID him, you might try this link at whatbird.com - it will take a bit of pecking and clicking, but I bet you can find out what he is.

http://identify.whatbird.com/mwg/_/0/attrs.aspx

Anonymous said...

Good Luck with the bird, he's very pretty!

Jaya said...

Ahhh, well, I'm sad to report that this little bird, which I discovered was a starling, came to an unfortunate end and is no more. I let him loose too soon, and he was not able to fly away, as I'd hoped, but instead glided to the ground and was immediately pounced upon and carried off by my cat Henry, who'd been hiding in the bushes. Well, at least he had a day feasting upon the goodies I provided for him before moving on to wherever starlings move onto after they have met their final cat...

josie said...

sorry to hear he didn't survive the last fight.

Unknown said...

The bird will have a great story to tell in the other world or wherever he lands next.

Marg said...

That is too bad. My kittens brought me a tiny baby rabbit and I grabbed it before they hurt it and brought it in the house and put it in a cat carrier. But it was so scared and tiny that it wouldn't eat. I was going to nurse it with a tiny bottle but I was afraid I would scare it too much.
Well the poor thing was dead the next morning. Either it was hurt or just really scared to death. But what are you going to do, Survival of the fittest.

Lynne said...

Well, he was very pretty. You did your best at saving him.

Witchie's Place said...

Awe! He was very pretty too. You did your best!