Sunday, February 14, 2010

When I Was Almost Arrested

I've never actually been arrested, though there was one time it almost happened. I just came across photos from then, so I thought I would post about it. I think it was back (way back) around the summer of 1979, when I was in my mid-20s. I'd gotten involved with a group that was opposed to nuclear power. This was in Charlottesville, Virginia, where I lived at the time. 

We had organized a protest of a nearby nuclear power plant that had some particularly disturbing safety issues. The protest involved marching onto the power plant's property, trespassing, as a way to get the most publicity for the issues. 
 
The day of the protest it was raining. We all got put into police wagons and sat in there for a while, but in the end the authorities really didn't want the hassle of having to process us all, and so most of us were let go. A few of us were held in jail for a few days, but I wasn't one of them.

Here are a few photos I have from back then. The first photo shows our group as we walked toward the power plant, soggy from the rain, but full of conviction. I'm the one in the white shirt. The second, grainy, one was in the local paper, and was taken as several of us were being led to the police van.  (The caption has my original first name of 'Julia'.  I would not become a 'Jaya' for another 24 years.).  And the last one is of some of us lying on the lawn of the courthouse after the ones who had been jailed had been released (without being charged, if I'm remembering correctly).

 
 

Ahhh, so long ago... It almost seems as if it was in another lifetime.

9 comments:

Karolen said...

Beautiful pictures Jaya. The sepia tones really make it look like the 'olden days.' I guess it was. Thanks for sharing.

Unknown said...

Amazing experience and photos. Sometimes you just have to stand up for what you believe in.

new illuminati said...

Congratulations on being one of the few willing to stand up and be counted. There's a new generation looking for wise elders to help them save the world (again).
See for instance http://hermetic.blog.com/2010/02/14/

Anonymous said...

I really like when people are expressing their opinion and thought. So I like the way you are writing

Rebecca said...

Well I was in my mid-twenties in those days too and it sure brought back memories! What happened to the hippies? I hope you're still against nuclear power!

Jen said...

I was 12 when this took place. I so much wanted to be a hippie. I got stuck with the 80's. I still wear my headband proud though!

Unknown said...

Ah, the good old days when we were invincible. When we could dress like that. When we had a platform and made efforts to make people think. It wouldn't hurt to see a new crowd doing the same. Love the photos!

CastoCreations said...

ROFL Oh my gosh...you were such a hippy. =)

Anonymous said...

I lived in Northern Virginia at the same time and joined every march on Washington. That last photo is interesting. Pray tell, is that car a Dodge Charger? Looks like my old car. Peace!